Student Housing


History of Student Housing
at Greensboro College

1846-1911 During this time frame, Main Building housed almost all of the major functions of the college, including the administrative offices, the classrooms, the chapel, and the students’ dorm rooms.

Fitzgerald Hall
Fitzgerald Hall

1912 Fitzgerald Hall, the college’s first residence hall, was built at a cost of $25,000.

Hudson Hall
Hudson Hall

1917 Construction of a second residence hall, Hudson Hall, was completed.
1956 Construction of Greensboro Building, a dormitory with other integrated functions, was finished at a cost of $300,000. In the fall of 1956, 17 men were housed in Turrentine Hall when the college first began admitting men as residents.

Turrentine Hall
Turrentine Hall

1962 West Residence Hall, the first residence hall built for men, was completed.
1969 Costing in excess of $1,000,000, construction of Hill Residence Hall was completed. Fitzgerald, Hudson, and Turrentine Halls were torn down.
1970s During the early to mid-1970s, the remaining dorm rooms in Main Building were gradually phased out.