Museum: College Names Changes in 1912 and 1919
Selected material relating to the College’s name changes in 1912 and 1919
Summary: See above
In 1912, the faculty, administration, and alumnae successfully petitioned the Trustees of the College to change the College’s name from Greensboro Female College to Greensboro College for Women because they felt that the term “female” used in conjunction with “college” demonstrated a lack of progress in terms of educational development. And in 1919, the young women of the College and the alumnae successfully petitioned the Trustees to change the College’s name from Greensboro College for Women to simply Greensboro College because they felt that the term “for women” was unnecessary.
The materials listed below are in the form of JPEG images, and the text on those images is not keyword searchable.
Master images saved as uncompressed TIFF files in true color (due to the amount of sepia toning) at 300 dpi. – unaltered image size. Access images saved as JPEG images (medium quality) in true color at 100 dpi – altered image size.
Select An Item:
1912 – Letter from the president and faculty to the Greensboro Female College Board of Trustees
1912 – Letter from the Alumnae Association to the Greensboro Female College Board of Trustees
1919 – Letter from the students of Greensboro College for Women to the Board of Trustees
1919 – A committee report to the Board of Trustees of Greensboro College for Women